June 12, 2010

can't fit a workout in?


Yesterday I was sitting in traffic in my beautiful city of Seattle, waiting for my exit. I can't help but spy on people in my rear view mirror. You just never know what you are going to see - stressed out folks muttering to themselves while white knuckling the steering wheel, the music lover belting out a song, a nose picker. But this sighting was too good to be true. I had to look twice, three times to be sure my eyes didn't lie.

This man was doing bicep curls while driving. If I were to guess, I'd say they were 10's or 12's. He mostly did his right arm (which did concern me as well- unbalanced!). But most importantly, he was lifting weights while driving! Not that it matters, but this was not a young, beefy guy in a sports car like you might imagine. No sir.

He was driving a car that looked like this

He looked like the Uptight Seattleite, if you can imagine that the Uptight Seattleite smokes a pack a day and has less than ideal hygiene habits.
Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in being physically active and encourage my clients to try light weight lifting. Weight training builds muscle, which can help prevent injuries, shapes your body, and allows you to burn more calories throughout the day.

But please, do not do this while driving!

3 comments: